Top 10 Legend Mid Range Hunter Guide
Hello guys, my name is “Chinoize”. Some of you might know me from winning Dreamhack France a month ago. I’ve always enjoyed playing Hunter and with Mid-Range being brought to life again with the release of Whispers of the Old Gods, I decided to pick the deck back up and have been consistently staying in top 20 legend with it, peaking in the top 10 several times.
The decklist I used was “JustSaiyan’s” decklist, also used by “Scottyda” to finish #1 Legend on NA last month. I really like the decklist made by “JustSaiyan” because it targets the meta that is flooded with Warrior and has the ability to keep up with Zoo, running 1x Explosive Trap and double Unleash the Hounds. The only adjustment I made was swapping out Dreadscale for Tundra Rhino.
If you liked this article, give me a follow on twitter: https://twitter.com/ONE_Chinoize
- 1Fiery Bat2
- 2Explosive Trap1
- 2Freezing Trap1
- 2Quick Shot2
- 2King's Elekk2
- 3Eaglehorn Bow2
- 3Animal Companion2
- 3Deadly Shot1
- 3Kill Command2
- 3Unleash the Hounds2
- 4Infested Wolf1
- 5Tundra Rhino1
- 6Savannah Highmane2
- 9Call of the Wild2
- 2Huge Toad2
- 5Stampeding Kodo2
This deck shines in the Mid-Game but can struggle to keep up versus more aggressive decks in the early game. Use your early game cards such as Huge Toad, King's Elekk to apply pressure and/or keep up with the board.
Once you start entering the Mid-Game you can start cashing in your deck value: developing a Savannah Highmane, Houndmaster can give you excellent trading potential or getting off a juicy Stampeding Kodo has the potential to swing the game around. Call of the Wild gives you late game power, that can be used as a late game board flood or as a finisher.
- When facing Aggro: you usually want to take over board and win the game through board control, but keep in mind you are still playing Hunter and can deal tons of damage over just a few turns.
- Versus Control: you want to be an aggressor throughout the game, keep control of the board but at some point you’ll want to start applying face damage with your [Steady Shot] and minions on board.
Look for a strong early game curve, you can keep certain cards that are crucial in certain matchups, described below in “Class Specific Mulligan + Tips”.
The specific mulligan’s below will include additional tips and my average winrate vs these classes
Look for your early minions mentioned above, if you have a decent opening hand (1-&2-drop), consider keeping Deadly Shot.
Most druids struggle with board flood, value developing your minions highly and they will have a hard time removing them.
Try to fight for the board in the early game, but when entering the mid-Game you want to start applying pressure. Be sure to always count your damage in hand – you might just be a [Steady Shot] away from lethal.
Look for your early game minions. If you suspect your opponent playing Zoo, keep your Explosive Trap in hand. Control the board in the early stage, when you are getting ahead you can start applying face damage.
This mulligan is tricky,there are some aggro warriors on ladder who can punish you for holding onto Savannah Highmane. However If you suspect your opponent playing Control Warrior / Tempo Warrior and you have a 1-/2 drop, you can keep Savannah Highmane. Same rule applies to Stampeding Kodo (it always finds a target in this matchup Bloodhoof Brave, Acolyte of Pain,..).
N’Zoth Paladin is the most common Paladin deck on ladder so far, the main thing to keep in mind is their board clear ability. Wild Pyromancer + Equality or Consecration are real threats. Nevertheless, you will need to apply pressure to your opponent and try to lethal him before entering the late game, where N’zoth Paladin shines.
- Deadly Shot can instantly clear a big threat
- Infested Wolf pretty much guarantees you something to Houndmaster
- Save your Call of the Wild after a board clear happens
- Do I keep Tracking ? No, you want to draw into tracking
- Tundra Rhino + a beast guarantees charge (also the deathrattles from Savannah Highmane / Infested Wolf will gain charge with Rhino on board
- Tracking: Allows you to pick a suitable card for what might be a dire situation.
- Explosive Trap + 2x Unleash the Hounds:Great vs Zoo
- Freezing Trap: Good versus slower decks, helps you control the board and makes their Cairne Bloodhoof / Sylvanas Windrunner useless
- 2x Stampeding Kodo: Allows you to instantly deal with a Bloodhoof Brave, Acolyte of Pain, Imp Gang Boss, has so many targets in the current meta
Image credits: Khan72